Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:38:50 +0100

Am 23.02.2012 15:59, schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl<address@hidden>  writes:

As the person who wrote a lot of stuff for tablature and removed the
stems and stuff by default,
"made them transparent"
Yes, of course ;-)
I second that it is an ugly workaround.

Ideally, I had removed the stem/flag engraver completely from
TabVoice, but then again, the slur engraver (and some others as well
IIRC) complains when there is no stem to be taken into account when
calculating the control points.
Sounds to me like you did what you had to in order to get results at
your comfort level with the code.
Yes, more or less – I was not very familiar with the code, but I got
a lot of help from the community, and after all, my patches got
accepted.
But we really should straighten this out at the right place.  I don't
think that transparency should play a role in skyline calculations.
Transparent items are _exactly_ needed to make room for stuff that
otherwise would not fit.  Not for circumventing code that has not yet
catered for every sensible use case.

Of course. If I had more insight into the engraver stuff (and more time),
I would try to remove the dependencies between stem/flag and slur
engraver. Look at the stems in the definition of TabVoice - they are transparent
and as short as possible, but if you do some hideNote/unHideNote actions,
the small stubs get visible, so this is definitely a rather clumsy approach.
I appreciate it that Mike is a remarkably gifted and clever programmer,
but his code should not need to be running circles around old code.  The
code base should make sense as a whole.
+1

Regards,

Marc