Re: Allow music with layout instructions in output definitions. (issue 5

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Allow music with layout instructions in output definitions. (issue 5701049)
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:22:42 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

>> Contextmodifications can be placed in variables, so you can write
>>
>> aasettings = \with { ... }
>>
>> and later use
>>
>> \new Voice = aa \aasettings { ... }
>>
>> or
>>
>> \new Voice = aa \with \aasettings { ... }
>
> sure, i can do this.  Nevertheless, writing these in \layout {} would
> be more elegant

No.  An arbitrary number of named contexts can occur in the text, and
some are implicitly named anyway.  So you want to change _all_ contexts
of a given type in \layout and/or derive a new context type (aaVoice or
so) and then use \new aaVoice ... in the score.

> and in my opinion easier to maintain: \layout must be placed at the
> end of \score block, while variables containing context modifications
> must be defined before they are used, i.e. before \score block.  Thus,
> style decisions are spread over two places.

A _style_ is something affecting _all_ contexts of a given type, not
just particular contexts with a particular id.

And of course you can to

mylayout = \layout { ... }

at the top and then use it as a layout definition afterwards.