Re: GSoC rendering improvements

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: GSoC rendering improvements
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:16:00 +0200

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Corey F <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 04/04/2012 01:27 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> I suggest you to go here
>> http://news.lilynet.net/IMG/pdf/Coronation_Mass_-_Credo_2-15-33_marked.pdf
>> and check whether yellow, orange and brown markings surprise you or not.
>> That could be a good test.
>
> Thanks. I do recognize for most of those marked elements that something's a
> little "off" --

Good!  Some of these are very subtle (the markings were added by me,
and i'm an absolute perfectionist).

> moreso with the slurs/ties so perhaps I will look into
> focusing on those.

ok

>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM, address@hidden
>> <address@hidden>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd first formulate the problem in aesthetic terms
>>> (i.e. "The literature shows that beams usually do X, whereas LilyPond
>>> currently does Y") and then read beam-quanting.cc to see why lilypond
>>> does Y
>>> and what types of modifications would be necessary to arrive at X.
>>
>> I think there might not be enough time to define all specific changes
>> that are needed in beam positions or tie and slur shapes before
>> application deadline - it's a lot of work.  However, you can try
>> describing some general changes, for example:
>
> Yes, although I'll try to outline some significant changes, I think most of
> the work collecting specific problems and examples from the literature will
> have to take place in the early stages of the project. I'll give some
> thought to how to approach that process.

good.

> Thank you both for your help and insights -- I'll hope to put together an
> application (while still keeping up with school etc. this week...)

Yup, there is little time left - only 30 hours.
Some ideas for ties:
- put some/more constrains on how much ties can move vertically
- don't allow tie ends to touch stafflines
- allow ties to be more arched
- treat ties in chords differently than those connecting single notes.

and slurs:
- slurs should be allowed to cross stems
- slurs should either cross stems of flats and naturals, or clear them
- they shouldn't touch
- slurs broken across line break should start later than they do now
- broken slurs should be sloped smartly

cheers,
Janek