Re: Staging/Master Merge - James' Patchy

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Staging/Master Merge - James' Patchy
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:29:21 +0100

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:50:16PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> > My comment relates to the need to git add as a separate step.
>
> You _only_ need to use git add if you made your changes _manually_ in
> the work directory instead of going through git.

I had to read David's email a few times, and I'm still not certain
that I understood this.  Here's my understanding:

1. when you (or makelsr.py) adds a new snippets, you must run
  git add SNIPPET-NAMES

Note that makelsr.py tells you to do this; all you need to do is
copy&paste the command that makelsr.py gives you.

2. for all other changes, doing
  git commit -a
will save all changes to the repo.

Now the problem comes when you do
  git format-patch > foo.patch
  patch -p1 < foo.patch
  git commit -a
; even if you follow the above commands, it will *not* include any
new files that were added to the git repo in step 1.

That sequence of commands comes from me and my previous
unfamiliarity with git branches.  I'm certain that I've told
either you or James (or both) to use that workflow... and now that
I think about it, lily-git.tcl somewhat encourages that workflow
as well.

To counter-act my previous bad advice, I urge you to read the "git
for the impatient" section of the CG, and start using git branches
for everything.  I know that branches are a bit unintuitive and
frankly scary, but it's worth it.  I've tried to boil down the
branch stuff to a minimum in that page.