Re: git fetch with Lily-git.tcl

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: git fetch with Lily-git.tcl
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:30:00 +0100

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 09:01:15PM +0100, James wrote:
> I kept a few mails that David sent a few months back and he suggested
>
> git fetch --depth=1000000

David was wrong.  [correction: or rather, David was answering the
question you asked, not the question you should have been asking]
In that case, you should have deleted your git repository and done
a fresh git clone.  It's simply not worth trying to play games
with git unless you know what you're doing (or unless you'd rather
play games with git tutorials rather than working on lilypond,
which is perfectly fair!).

> --snip--
>         git remote add -t $originHead \
>             origin git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>         git fetch
>         git reset --hard origin/$originHead
> --snip--

I hope this does exactly the same thing as
  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
if not, we should fix it.

> I wondered if we should inspite (or because of?) Lily-git being aimed
> beginner devs that adding the extra --depth command? or would that be
> harmful?

There should be no --depth command.  lily-git.tcl should get all
the history, for all branches.  I'm not certain if it actually
does this or not, but that's the plan.

A long time ago, I asked for a different setup (only one branch,
only a little bit of history), and people humored me.  The
evidence from the past few years shows that this was a mistake;