Regarding LSR translation work

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Regarding LSR translation work
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:46:50 +0200

Hello all,
As you know, we translators are constantly aware of how much pendant
work we have, thanks to 'make check-translation'. For example, right
now

  cd Documentation
  make ISOLANG=es check-translation | wc -l

gives ten thousand lines as result, most of them from
Documentation/snippets/.  The annoying thing is, 99 percent of this
output is not relevant, yet it has to be reviewed by hand. The wrong
concept involved in our LSR translation-checking process is that any
translators' work counts as pendant work for others. This is so
because we have translations to all languages mixed in the same files
which, if they change, count as, well, modified files. This is a loop
and leads to absurdity. I do a local makelsr and commit a huge patch,
only to mark all snippets/* as outdated for the rest of translators,
which in turn can only fix this with a huge patch.

I'd like to propose an issue aimed to fix it. In my opinion, English
text for snippets should be kept apart with no translations in the
same files. If code for the snippet is in the same file,
check-translation should be smart enough to ignore it. Doc build
process could take originals from there, and take translations from
where they currently are, namely <ll>/texidocs.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com