Re: Move add-grob-definition from a snippet to scm/translation-functions

From: dak
Subject: Re: Move add-grob-definition from a snippet to scm/translation-functions.scm (issue 6128048)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 23:21:08 +0000

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

On 4/27/12 4:00 PM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

Instead, one can just add a single context mod adding the new grob
definition to the Score context definition.

<Snip>

It would make more sense to revert the respective commit creating the
snippet completely.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6128048/

What about fixing the snippet in scheme-text-spanner.ly so that it
creates the grob the proper way?

Since scheme-text-spanner.ly patches around a _lot_ of global variables
(grobs, event classes...), that's not sufficient for fixing the problems
with it.  I am currently working on repairing the concept of redefining
event classes.  Takes enough concentration as it is without defining a
reasonable interface for extending grobs.

One can make the futzing of grobs less broken than Mike did it even
without creating a proper straightforward interface, and I outlined how
to do it if someone really wants to go ahead with that and/or creating
some general-purpose extension code outside of a snippet.  But this
particular snippet plasters over so many different things that I can
just fix them one by one.  The grob definitions _are_ already stored in
a context mod inside of a context def, so it is totally unnecessary to
mess with global variables that will affect future files in the same
run.

For the event classes, this is harder to unglobalize.  But the user
interfaces should likely end up somewhat similar, to make things not
harder than necessary to learn.  So if at all, I am going to fix it
after the event classes.  But in the mean time, I don't want more crud
like define-event-class to migrate into the code base.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6128048/