Re: Substitute for s1*0

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Substitute for s1*0
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 05:50:29 +0000 (UTC)

Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:

> My point really is that <> exists now, so there ought to
> be a short note in the section where chords are introduced
> to say that an empty chord takes no time, whatever the
> current duration happens to be.

I agree with Trevor.  And with David in liking <>

s1*0 is useful for markup at the beginning of a
multimeasure rest, quote, or cue, or at the end of a music
as in "D.S.alCoda".  In these cases, the next note needs
an explicit duration anyway.

Some people write triplets without the '3' as {c8*2/3 d e}
so they depend on LilyPond remembering the *n/m with the
duration.

<> is less transparent, because a thoughtful user would
expect it to have the same duration of the previous note
or chord, or to be a syntax error.

On the other hand,
1) the chord construct is more familiar than skips and
   mulitplied durations are not familiar at all.
2) empty constructs are familiar from
   \score { ... \layout{} \midi{}}
3) its leaving the former default duration unchanged makes
   it more generally useful:
{ <>\mf \motif c4 d e f <>\p^"softer now" \motif g f e d}

So <> is a more helpful example for users than s1*0 was,
if the special case of its duration is noted in NR 1.5.1

Giving it a notation like 'n' for aesthetic purposes would
be putting lipstick on a pig.