Re: Substitute for s1*0

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Substitute for s1*0
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:32:32 +0100

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 11:04:50AM +0100, Ian Hulin wrote:
> Hi all,
> Point of information:
>
> On 07/05/12 10:29, Graham Percival wrote:
> >
> > A number of people think that <> is the ideal tool for a
> > non-duration post-event.  James and I disagree; we think that a
> > different tool (such as a new \null or \nullevent) would be easier
> > to read.
> >
> Except \null has already been used as \markup command. I know
> you can distinguish by context, but your argument here is about
> readability.

Ok, I forgot about that, but \nullevent would still work -- or
even just \event, or \timeless, or something along those lines.

> You would really need a colour syntax-highlighting facility like
> in Frescobaldi to make the distinction clear.

or just pick a different word.

> introduce a \placeholder
> command which hardly anyone will use with the docstring

I'd be ok with a \placeholder.

> "This produces an event in the music stream that does not affect
> note-spacing in the visual output from LilyPond, nor does it affect
> the default note-duration in the parser. It is commonly abbreviated to
> the empty chord symbol @code{<>}.  It is commonly used to attach
> markups and similar items where there may not always be a real note to
> which to attach the item"

Delete that "commonly abbreviated" sentence and I'd be all for
that.  If it's implemented internally as <> that's fine, provided
we have a regtest that ensures that
  c4 \placeholder\whatever d4
works properly.

> 1+
> We're discussing preferred syntax.

Yes.

*shrug*
We could postpone this discussion, or try to formalize this, or
just declare that whoever can push whatever they want with the
understanding that the whole debate will be re-opened when GLISS
happens and the syntax may change.