Re: Document <> and improve other simultanous music documentation. (issu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Document <> and improve other simultanous music documentation. (issue 6248080)
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 07:27:52 +0200

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 12:42:36 -0700, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> if the next note starts with a dynamic, the "smorz." will merge into
>> that dynamic which is not wanted for.
>
> Presumably because the hairpin is a \> and the next note is \f in this
> case.  Often, though, we do want a \> to continue into a \p.
>
> Mostly I wanted to talk you out of this worry :
>
>> It would seem that _trailing_ <> are not really something we should
>> lightly suggest since it is unknown what their articulations will
>> attach themselves to.
>
> We can make it clear that <>\! attaches the end of the hairpin to the
> following note (or bar-line if there is no note) by saying ...

No need, really.  The point of what <> does in relation to time is
brought across by the example(s) I put in.  Adding more complex examples
is not going to be more educational.

Hairpins don't attach to notes or barlines, by the way, but to musical
moments (via a horizontal position).  This is in contrast to accents
like -. or ( or so: if those find only a bar line or \skip, they don't
appear.