generalizing offsets to properties

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: generalizing offsets to properties
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 12:50:41 -0500

Hi,

After working with \shape (which offsets 'control-points), I've been tinkering with the idea of generalizing offsets to LilyPond's defaults.  (Urs Liska brought this up here: http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg71495.html.)  I've attached a sketch of a function which attempts to do this, and I show it in operation in a number of situations.  Several of these examples are of dubious value; however, I do think the ability to offset properties such as 'positions, 'X-offset, 'Y-offset is potentially useful.  In these cases, you can alter positioning easily from what you see (as you might with 'extra-offset).  The function will work with broken spanners as well.

You can only offset properties which are immutable (if I'm not mistaken, the ones listed in `define-grobs.scm')  The function will work with numbers, number pairs, and lists of number pairs.  If you attempt to offset something not covered--like 'color--nothing will happen.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are about this approach.  Is the idea of offsetting defaults suitable for generalizing?  It _appears_ to work, but are there pitfalls here?

Best,
David