Re: new bar-lines / issue 1320

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: new bar-lines / issue 1320
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 08:29:18 +0200

Hi all,

Am 03.06.2012 22:58, schrieb Thomas Morley:
Hi,

together with Marc Hohl I was working on Issue 1320 for a couple of weeks.
Now we have a first working version using a new approach to design BarLines:
Only simple BarLines are predefined e.g "|"  "."  ":"  etc (plus some
exceptions).
Some defaults for the line-break and the SpanBars are predefined, too.
All is stacked together on-the-fly.
Harm has sent me the latest version of the file with some minor improvements:

(1) the tick-bar-line has no numeric constants in its definition

(2) "[" and "]" are now shortcuts for bracket-style bar lines.

I know that this is *a lot of* code, but please tell us what you think.

There are some points beside the inevitable scheme stuff that can be
discussed:

(1) what do you think about the user interface? How would *you*
define a bar line? Please give it a try and tell us what you think!

(2) Does it make sense to provide more than one definition for one
barline? The current approach allows for numbers to be placed inside
the string to define two identical bar lines with different behavior at
line breaks and/or with span bars. Does this make sense?

Regards,

Marc