Re: My responses to developers' responses

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: My responses to developers' responses
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:48:06 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: "Devel Dev" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 2:23 PM
Subject: My responses to developers' responses

Hey all,

Thank you very much, Colin, for organizing these responses.

I think GOP2-0 is very important, and as such I'd like to send responses to certain excerpts from other people's emails.

DevC

There's a similar problem with trying to recruit new contributors.
Person 41 says "hey guys, it's easy to help!  here's a link to get you
started", then person 15 immediately says "no wait, it's too hard.
Don't get involved unless somebody will help you".  And then person 15
and 94 start arguing about something else, so even if somebody still
wanted to help out, the argument would drive them away anyway.  But
just like the website problem, it seems that nobody is saying "yes, we
should have new contributors, so I will help 1 person get involved and
take responsibility for giving that 1 person a fair chance to
contribute".

I agree. I do not believe that saying "it's too hard" is a good solution. I am more than willing to help people this way - I am officially naming myself as "New Contributor Czar" and will propose a patch in an hour that advertises this on the website.

I think "Frog meister" is the official term.

The third reason is the patch-handling setup.  There have been a few
times that some documentation needed a little edit or tweak here or
there, but I just couldn't be bothered to make a new branch, do the
edit, upload to rietveld, wait a few days, then push that branch to
staging.

I do fixes like this all the time w/o the full review (i.e. the pondings column). Everyone trusts you - if it's truly a minor tweak, go for it.

I think James and I both rarely create new branches. We make a change, commit and create a patch (in my case with lily-git) save the patch for future use and then reset the git repo. That way we don't forget which branch has which changes. I think this is an easier system for new cotributors.

--
Phil Holmes