Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Meeting 2nd half of August!
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:55:01 +0200

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 05:44:19PM +0100, Colin Hall wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 06:26:34PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> > Decent communication in electronic media
>> > is one of the things I am spectacularly bad at.  One thing that has
>> > turned out to be effective at times is meeting people in person.
>>
>> I think this is an excellent idea.
>>
>> Anything that gets us away from typing at each other and towards human
>> contact is a good thing.
>
> A less expensive option could be skype chats (or a different
> program if people wanted an open-source one).  These could even
> become regular events, such as every Wed at 10:00 UST and Thurs at
> 23:00 UST.  (picking dates/times randomly)
>
> I'm not suggesting video, since even my university internet
> connection doesn't handle video chats well, but voice could work
> out.

Yes and no.  That's more or less 1:1 and you don't develop a feeling for
what makes the quiet one sitting in the corner tick.  The advantage of a
gettogether is that you don't just see people when they are active but
also get a feeling for how they react.

The moments where you don't really need to say anything in order to
communicate are a bit rare on the phone.