Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS (final)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS (final)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:37:58 +0200

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:23 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> Sorry, i don't understand.  You mean that you know how to do this, but
>> there's something else blocking you from implementing it?
>
> If two different things are indistinguishable, you can't have them both.
>
> If (3+2)/8 is shorthand for #(3 2 8), then (2+2)/2 is shorthand for
> #'(2 2 2) and
> \time #'(2 2 2) 6/4
> already _has_ an assigned meaning.

Ah, your previous message makes perfect sense now.  I didn't know that
\time #'(2 2 2) 6/4 is possible at all!  It seems to be undocumented -
i've only found it used in two snippets.

Frankly, \time #'(2 2 2) 6/4 is a nice thing, but the grouping can be
done using beatStructure.  I wouldn't oppose deprecating current
behaviour in favour of more user-friendly compound meter syntax.

>> Anyway, from my point of view (user-friendliness obsession) this would
>> be fantastic!  I'm ready to pay 25 euro for being able to use \time
>> (3+2)/8 (without any additional hashes, quotes etc) as a legitimate,
>> fully-supported meter command.
>
> It would have been 3+2/8 at any rate since throwing parens into the
> token syntax would have further messed up the ambiguities, and forms
> like 3/2+2/5 would not likely have worked.

You mean, it would be impossible to support 3/2+2/5 as #((3 2) (2 5))?  Pity.

Janek