Re: Time to fork a guile-2 branch?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Time to fork a guile-2 branch?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:59:28 +0100

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 09:38:15AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> > 3. Where there are significant changes to component .scm files for
> > guile V2, these will also be converted into a shim similar to lily.scm
> > and will have <file>-guile-1.scm and <file>-guile-2.scm files
> > produced.
>
> Personally, I am almost in favor of a rather hard cut where we switch
> from Guilev1 to Guilev2.  The problem with that is that such a step
> cannot really be prepared separately since it would likely get code
> outdated: we had that problem previously.
>
> Most direct would be a hard cut: exchange the Guile version, and get
> everybody working furiously until LilyPond works again.

I'm fine with this, perhaps immediately after 2.17.0 comes out?
Provided that the regtests compile, I have no trouble switching to
it for 2.17.1 regardless of what that might do to user scores
(since nobody should be using 2.17.1).

Note that GUB will need to be updated to compile guile V2, and
also that if that update is done poorly then GUB would lose the
ability to compile 2.16.x.  IIRC that happened with the 2.12
branch, or at least the compile needed some manual hacks in order
to complete the build.