Re: Time to fork a guile-2 branch?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Time to fork a guile-2 branch?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:14:56 +0200

On 2012-08-13 02:44, Ian Hulin wrote:
Given that these patches will be quite extensive, is now a good time
to set up a guile-2 branch in git, forking off from the start of the
V2.17.0 development?

Setting up a dev/guile-2 branch on our git server is a good idea any time you want your changes to be tested by others...
You can also rebase your branch later on to the latest master at any time.

Git is a distributed system, which means you can simply upload your local branch (you are working in a temporary development branch, right?) to the server, no need for an admin to create a branch. If you look at the repository with a view like qgit, you'll see that there are currently 19 dev/* branches on the server, which are temporary development branches from some developer (janek has 6 at the moment)

Branches in git are very simple and very useful. E.g. I have 12 local development branches for various bugfixes (most are only unsuccessfull attempts) on my laptop and 8 devel branches on my office machine. I regularly pull branches off the other machine, just like I would do from the server (

If the answer is yes, I may need some hand-holding/support to make
sure I don't do any damage to the main git repository.

Mike already told you the commands:

> To fork a branch, assuming that your git branch is called "guile-2"
> and forked off current master, you can do:
>
> git checkout guile-2
> git push origin HEAD:refs/heads/dev/guile-2
>
> This will create a remote branch called guile-2 w/o touching master
> or staging.

I haven't checked, but I think the push command could also simply be:
    git push origin dev/guile-2
(i.e. simply push the currently checked out branch to the server(=origin) as branch dev/guile-2)

Also, don't worry about messing up: The server repository is nothing special, every developer has a full copy (from the time he last pulled/fetched) on his harddrive. If you mess something up, any developer can push his repo to the server again and nothing is lost.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886