Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Ema

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Emacs (issue 6460109)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 23:13:38 +0200

Il giorno dom, 19/08/2012 alle 21.57 +0100, Ian Hulin ha scritto:
> Hi John and David,
> If you take this on, John, or if David decides to revisit this, can
> you add something like this to the detailed description of the issue:
>
> "This patch adds a new file dir-locals.el to the root directory of the
> git repository. It is intended for LilyPond developers who use Emacs.
>
> It will not be delivered as part of the Emacs lilypond-mode for
> end-users, which is packaged in the repository's elisp subdirectory.
>
> The file enforces standards for emacs users when working on c++,
> scheme or texinfo source files anywhere in their local git repository
> tree.
>
> This patch is part of a policy to allow LilyPond developers to provide
> consistently formatted code in the languages which are used to develop
> LilyPond.
>
> This patch was originally developed by David Kastrup."

After having googled (and then realized that Emacs self-documentation
rocks) for preparing the script, I remembered how much personal tastes
in text editor settings may lead to conflicts, e.g.
http://lists.libav.org/pipermail/libav-devel/2011-April/003117.html
so I can understand that this issue brought your attention so much.

That said, the commit message would be longer than the changes it brings
to the source, I think the one I submitted on rietveld is enough:

"""
Establish some coding styles in Emacs

This uses directory variables to enforce some coding style features in
C++, Scheme and Texinfo files in the source tree.
"""

As for the author, I called git commit with --author "David Kastrup", so
that's fine, see
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/coding-style

Best,
John