Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond

From: James
Subject: Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:42:58 +0100

Hello,

On 28 August 2012 10:52, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> James <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 28 August 2012 08:17, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Let's make a list of tasks we want, then make sure that we're
>>> doing them on sensible computers.
>>>
>>> - Patchy staging-merge: powerful computer, no fixed internet
>>>   connection.  Every 6 hours?
>>> - Patchy test-patches: powerful computer, fixed internet
>>>   connection, lots of free space to host the regtest comparisons.
>>>   Every 6 hours?
>>> - translation documentation building: relatively slow computer,
>>>   fixed internet connection.  Every 24 hours?
>>>
>>> anything else?  what computers do we have available?
>>
>> As you know you have mine that already does test-patchy (manually) and
>> has done 'staging-merge' but it has no real bandwidth to offer
>> 'hosting' or 'remote access' to other users - it sits at home behind a
>> bog-standard DSL router. So it's essentially a 'push-only' server so
>> to speak - hence the reason it was ok for Patchy merge. But unless I
>> can work out how to get access through the DSL router (I've not
>> checked) it isn't really helpful for those devs that might want to
>> tweak and test updated scripts. Technically there's no reason why I
>> couldn't allow ssh access via a terminal session, I just haven't
>> bothered to figure out how to set up port forwarding on the router
>> properly yet.
>
> The main beef is getting a dyndns setup where your changing IP address
> keeps associated with the same outside name.  dyndns.org is something
> you can register on, and most routers have options for notifying a
> dynamic ip dns server.
>
> Without a fixed entry point (in this case, a fixed name), outside access
> is hard to implement.

Yes you are correct, I did quick look up and see that the British
Telecom's Home Hub I have will work with DynDNS (BT itself does not
offer fixed IP to its residential customers). I could get a basic
DynDNS account - it's not that expensive for a year - if anyone thinks
it would be worth it as I have no personal desire to manage my server
from work.

James