Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: automated computing tasks for lilypond
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 15:56:47 +0100

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:24:39PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 30/08/2012 alle 18.15 +0100, James ha scritto:
> >  We have two of config files.
> > lilypond-patchy-config and .msmtp-patchy (used by patchy staging).
>
> I sent you a sample config file, if the instructions work for you too
> I'll add them to the CG.

Let's assume that anybody running this will have a gmail account
with the name
  address@hidden
since will greatly simplify the msmtp config:

address@hidden:~$ more .msmtp-patchy
account gmail
host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
auth on
user address@hidden
password hunter2
tls on
tls_trust_file
/usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Equifax_Secure_CA.crt
from address@hidden

account default: gmail
address@hidden:~$

of course if somebody wants to use a different setup that's fine,
but the above is quite simple and inexpensive.  Even if you
already have a gmail account, I recommend making a
lilypond.patchy.foo one so that there's no confusion between your
personal mail and that one.
(and I know that James already has lilypond.patchy.james)

> > not especially, I could run it every hour if you wanted? It takes
> > about 20 minutes to do a full merge.
>
> It's glad IMO running every two hours is frequent enough, running every
> hour wouldn't bring much more and so would not be worth stressing the
> hardware more.

I think that every 4-6 hours should be fine.

> > I used to run it every 6 hours, but because I didn't have any email
> > notifications to watch it from work, I was a bit hesitant to do so.
>
> This is understandable.  More than having email notifications of every
> single run, I can recommend you to set build_user in compiling section
> to have a bit more security,

Hmm, could do.  I made a complete separate user (lily) on my
system, but there's no harm in using both methods.  :)