Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 17:43:58 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> So what to do?
> Ask someone? Learn more?
> I choosed the second and decided to learn scheme (currently still
> improving it).
> Nowadays I'm able to write nearly all scheme-stuff I need, to answer
> numerous questions on the user-list, reporting bugs and work-arounds
> for them, etc.
> I set up LilyDev and recently submitted my first patch, struggling
> with the new world of developer-tools.

And doing a really impressive job with that.

> Perhaps some day I'll decide to learn C++

Maybe you should work together with Mike.  He does everything in C++
even when Scheme would be the better choice.

> Reading this discussion so far, I sometimes feel not encouraged to
> continue my way of  “learning more“.

Then the message has not been clear.  As a developer, the best I can
offer is to be open and responsive.  It does not make sense for me to
promise to be obedient.  I won't code against my conscience, and I
expect every other coder to do the same.  I don't want _anybody_ putting
code into LilyPond that he considers to be a bad idea to start with.

We have enough of a code quality problem without people actively
submitting code they don't consider the right thing.

> Well, of course there is sometimes an antagonism between the interests
> of users and developers. But I think the main points of a
> music-typesetting program are:
> (1)Deliver the most beautyful output as possible.
> (2)Offer the most simple or at least consequent syntax as possible for
> the user. In the end a musician will be the user, at least of the
> printed score.
>
> So I'm with Graham:
>
> 2012/9/3 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>> I do not think that musicians have nothing valuable
>> to say.  I *especially* do not agree that documentation writers or
>> teachers (in person) have nothing valuable to say.

I'd wish our documentation writers had a lot _more_ to say...