Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:12:17 +0200

David Kastrup writes:

> Users like to save keystrokes, and they bemoan the demise of Mutopia,
> and the rise of MusicXML over LilyPond as a music presentation format.
>
> Nobody wants to see the connections.

I'm glad you do.  That's why I suggested the investigation of truly
supporting full future compatibility, using [an old] lilypond for
parsing and [the current] for dumping .ly.

Until we can guarantee that .ly will not bitrot (or even better:
backwards supporting v2.14, v2.12,...), noone in her right mind will
want to use LilyPond for storing large music libraries.  That's a big
loss for everyone, as musixcml does not preserve printability and
arguably also not full musical meaning/content.

There is currently no solution for preserving content as well as fine
engraving, at least not with a relation between the two.  Providing that
would be a major win.

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl