Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:57:51 +0200

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 09:18:17PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Frankly, the current syntax discussions are leading nowhere.
>> Brainstorming is fine, but pretty useless if there is no target or topic
>> other than "let's make things different".
>
> I'm quite open to trying to find a way to structure these
> discussions so that people who are interested can participate, yet
> people who aren't interested don't need to worry because they'll
> get an opportunity to shoot down bad proposals before they're
> accepted.  But we've barely *started* having a discussion about
> changes, so I don't think that we can claim that they're going
> nowhere.

I agree.  In my opinion, we should first let people post all their
ideas - without discussing them thoroughly, just to get an overview of
what needs to be considered (as Graham said, we've barely started
talking).
Then, we'd sort them, put similar ones together and have extended
discussions to figure out the details and find possible pitfalls.
Finally, when we'll have well-defined proposals, we'd decide on them.

Labelling would be crucial to do all of this efficiently - i suggest
something like
- GOP-IDEA for posting food-for-thought,
don't-discuss-yet-it's-just-to-let-you-know-what's-in-my-mind ideas,
- GOP-DISC for discussing details in an orderly manner,
- GOP-PROP for actual proposals (these emails should be read and voted
by everyone).

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think that Janek has spent quite a lot of time collecting and formulating
> his ideas.

:)

> What about posting his ideas and use them as a discussion base
> in terms of usability and implementation?

I can send food-for-thought GLISS email(s) if other people are fine with that.

cheers,
Janek