Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] differentiating pre/post/neutral commands
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 21:18:17 +0200

> Continuing to brainstorm on the problem of it not being obvious to
> which note a particular \command refers to, what if we used:
>
> \postfix:      c2 d\p  is unchanged
> /prefix: for music functions like   c2 /parenthesize d
> .neutral: for commands which aren't attached to notes, such
>   as .clef or .times.
>
>    .version "2.16.0"
>    .score {
>      /new Staff {
>        .clef "bass"
>        .times 3/4
>        c4 /parenthesize d\p g .bar "|."
>      }
>    }
>

> It's obviously not a fully-thought-through idea, but the whole
> point of brainstorming is to list not-fully-thought-through ideas.

It adds no new functionality and makes it harder to write and read
things.  How should LilyPond behave if you get your slashes wrong?

If one does not add new functionality anyway, one can pretty well make
things readable using spaces where appropriate.

Frankly, the current syntax discussions are leading nowhere.
Brainstorming is fine, but pretty useless if there is no target or topic
other than "let's make things different".