Re: Allow digits in identifiers (issue 6493072)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Allow digits in identifiers (issue 6493072)
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:25:31 -0700

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 00:50:27 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2012/09/05 06:59:16, Keith wrote:
It costs a lot of programmer time to make the extra rules to save that
0.2%,

Not really.

But, but...  flex documentation is pretty clear about [getting rid of] backing
up being very expensive :
"Getting rid of backing up is messy and often may be an enormous amount of work for
a complicated scanner."

Okay.  Maybe it didn't take you long to /maintain/ backup-free rules, but it
took me quite a while to remove backing up on the existing rules, when I made
the patch to clean up warnings.

I am not convinced that patterns requiring arbitrary amounts of backing
up make for a good choice of lexical units.

Right. They probably don't.

So I am against removing this advice independently from patches that
might actually require this removal.

Agreed,
but I'll still pout a couple more times that you get your Schemy-dashes and
underscores but I still have to refer to the motif from measure
tousend_sechshundert_siebzig

http://codereview.appspot.com/6493072/