Re: Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 18:33:40 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Werner LEMBERG <wl <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Actually, it's been in the back of my head for a while that those
> >> pieces could be a great demo for Lilypond, particularly in respect
> >> of being able to generate both written and sounding-pitched parts
> >> for violin from the same material without any stupid "tricks".
> >
> > Indeed, typesetting the first few bars of one of the Biber sonatas,
> > together with correct MIDI output, would yield a very nice example.
>
> Three staffs: true pitch, scordatura, tablature.
>
> Entry would be presumably in true pitch plus string number (where not in
> "lowest terms").

... and then a music function inspired by those that figure string-number
for tablature to generate the false-pitches for scordatura.

On the other hand, the existing sources are manuscripts written in
false-pitch, so writing a function to convert from false-pitch to true-pitch
would make initial entry easier.  There are some tricks required either way.

Since staff-positions correspond to scale steps one-to-one, a natural
LilyPond kind of pseudo-scordatura would have the staff lines and ledger
lines at un-equally-spaced positions -- distorting the staff lines to
represent the tuning but leaving the note-head positions alone.