Re: What do \[ and \] do?

From: James
Subject: Re: What do \[ and \] do?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:24:48 +0100

Hey Thicko! ;)

On 11 September 2012 17:15, Ian Hulin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just noticed mention of these in the GLISS pre/post/neutral command
> thread.
>
> What do these commands do?
>
> If there's discussion about converting them to modern syntax,
> presumably they'll need documenting etc. and we'll need to describe
> them in terms thickos like me can understand on first reading.
>
> If they're difficult to describe for my kind of audience, then maybe
> they're too obscure to need polishing up, sanitizing and documenting,
> and having regression tests written for them.
>
> Just a thought,

I found a reference here under Ligatures known issues (for Ancient Music)

'The syntax still uses the deprecated infix style \[ music expr \].
For consistency reasons, it will eventually be changed to postfix
style note\[ ... note\].'

Actually they are only documented for Ancient  Music as far as I can tell.

Also in Appendix C of the LilyPond Grammar in the NR

--snip--

332 command_element: command_event
  333                | "\["
  334                | "\]"
  335                | "\"
  336                | '|'
--snip--

But that probably wasn't what you meant was it?

:/

James