Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:47:29 +0200 (CEST)

> Here is my multi-stage plan for that:

I essentially agree with everything.  Thanks for that plan.

> b) our C++ engravers announce to the type system (and via that, to
> the documentation) which context properties they read, modify and
> write.  There is no reason that this does not also include the Grob
> descriptions which are even now a special case of context property.

In general, virtually all (public) Scheme functions of LilyPond
already have some documentation strings attached to it, and I think it
is probably one of the most important targets on the documentation
side to make them appear in the documentation.

> d) \override xxx is equivalent to \override Bottom.xxx, [...]

As soon as this works it would be extremely helpful if we could have a
command line flag to switch on tracing of those commands so that a
user can follow which \override gets applied which context.  Actually,
this would be extremely helpful today too.

>> And finding what comes after the \override staff.Something - is it
>> ##f. or #'4 or 4 or { 4} or what?
>
> #'4 and #4 and 4 should be quite equivalent in most cases...

Currently, in case of error, we basically see the parser's or lexer's
error message which isn't very useful for the beginner.  Is there any
possibility to fine-tune this as requested by Phil, in particular,
emitting the right usage as an example in the error message?

    Werner