Re: Outdated help2man; avoiding needing to "build" help2man.pl

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Outdated help2man; avoiding needing to "build" help2man.pl
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:47:10 +0200

Il giorno gio, 13/09/2012 alle 14.51 -0700, Don Armstrong ha scritto:
> In stepmake/stepmake/help2man-rules.make, I ran across the following:
[snip]
> While it's correct, you can trivially work around this problem by
> changing
>
> address@hidden@ -w

> address@hidden@ -w
> #! perl -w
>
> in scripts/build/help2man.pl, and then calling it with perl -x
> help2man.pl instead of just perl help2man.pl.

Thanks for the hint, but with our makefiles scripts/build/out/help2man
is called as an executable and has @PERL@ substituted with the perl
binary found by configure script, so we actually don't care.  The
comments you quoted may be some leftover from the time help2man.pl was
invoked with perl, foo.py invoked with python, etc.  We prefer to
"build" all the scripts so they use the binaries provided by configure
run.

>  Also, the version of
> help2man.pl distributed is quite seriously outdated, and doesn't
> properly escape - in its output. [The Debian package will be patched
> to call a more recent version of help2man; it'd probably also be nice
> to have real manpages for these programs too, but it's at least a
> start.]

Indeed, we have not updated it for a decade, I've entered a report with
a patch showing the update to latest release:

Thanks for the report
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>