Re: aux files to cache compilation info

From: mike
Subject: Re: aux files to cache compilation info
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:44:59 -0700

On 2012-09-19 05:40, Ramana Kumar wrote:

2) Create an ugly-lily.ly [1] file.  This file would remove
several engravers, change most callbacks to hardcoded values and
have everything spaced on one line unless breaks were forced and
would output the document to a huge page.  This could be used for
people doing mockups and then removed to get the nice score.

Is option 2 usable now? Is there an option for creating a mockup fast,
or would it be easy to create? I would use that, for example, for a
score I want to both edit quickly and read on screen, but only
occasionally render for printing on paper.

No, but if you run gprof or a similar utility on a LilyPond binary, you can see what callbacks hog the most time. You can then set these with dummy values if appropriate (i.e. vertical-skylines = #'()) and then see if it slows stuff down. I'm sure other people would be interested in this - if you have time to do it, it'd be of great value to LilyPond!

Cheers,
MS