Re: Mensural c clef - metafont design/philosophy question

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Mensural c clef - metafont design/philosophy question
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:01:33 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:01 PM

I'm playing with metafont to redesign the mensural c clef and see
that most of the clefs are drawn by creating a pattern of the
desired shape and then filling it.  An alternative would be to
select a pen and draw the shape by connecting the vertices.

Please call

 FONTFORGE=foo mf2pt1 --rounding=0.0001 <lilypond-font.mf>

To try to get this working at all, I've copied the font file, mftpt1 and mf2pt1.mem to the same directory - it's the only way it would run at all on my system. Running using parmesan-clefs.mf as the target results in an enormous error log starting:

fet_begingroup
! Isolated expression.
<to be read again>
                  (
l.20 fet_begingroup (
                    "clefs");
I couldn't find an `=' or `:=' after the
expression that is shown above this error message,
so I guess I'll just ignore it and carry on.

! Extra tokens will be flushed.
<to be read again>
                  (
l.20 fet_begingroup (
                    "clefs");
I've just read as much of that statement as I could fathom,
so a semicolon should have been next. It's very puzzling...
but I'll try to get myself back together, by ignoring
everything up to the next `;'. Please insert a semicolon
now in front of anything that you don't want me to delete.
(See Chapter 27 of The METAFONTbook for an example.)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

--
Phil Holmes