Re: how do i feel about GLISS discussions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: how do i feel about GLISS discussions
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:24:20 -0700

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:11:22AM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> i was going to write that i'm tired by the arguments that seem to
> plague our GLISS discussions, and that i need a break.

That's the correct thing to do.  The current flamefest is going
nowhere.  Or rather, it's going backwards: by isolating
developers, we have less energy going into lilypond.  This results
in us not catching minor mistakes until they become more serious
-- for example, Werner's recent doc patch included a number of
\overrides which should really by in LSR instead.  If a doc person
had looked at this in detail a week ago, we could have avoided
some wasted work by Werner.  Unfortunately, nobody felt motivated
enough to look at it, so I only noticed it on this final day of
the patch countdown.

My solution is to take a break, then read the emails and modify
the proposal for how to organize ly language discussions.  Then
I'll wait a few days, read the responses to *that*, modify it
again if necessary, etc.

If all goes well, then we would be able to begin having decent
discussions about the ly language in mid-Oct.  I see no chance of
having worthwhile discussions before then, and I wouldn't be
surprised if it didn't actually begin until Nov.