Re: Call for help with bar lines

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Call for help with bar lines
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:47:54 +0200

On 26 sept. 2012, at 11:01, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can anyone with more knowledge than me give me a hint what's wrong?
> IIUC correctly, lilypond draws a bar line at the beginning of each line,
> but in most cases, this is an invisible one.
> If you look at the results of input/regression/lyrics-spanbar.ly,
> the whole stuff is shifted that much to the right that lilypond moves
> the rightmost rest to a new line! I can't believe that a bar line with
> zero width can be the cause for this...
>
> Any hints are highly appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Hey Marc,

I unfortunately don't have much time to help you out, but I can tell you that
you are on the right track doing prints to the command line.  I would not,
however, stash them in lambda functions used as overrides, as this can
sometimes interfere with pure properties.

There are a couple classic things I use, most of which are in grob.cc.

In Grob::pure_relative_y_coordinate, before the last return statement, you can
put:

if (name () == "BarLine") print ("RELATIVE COORDINATE for BARLINE at spanned
rank %d: %4.4f\n", spanned_rank_interval ()[LEFT], out);

You can put similar prints in the extent function (but this time printing the
two extent values).

Hopefully the difference will show up here.

Cheers,
MS