Re: bar-line interface part 2/2: New bar line definition standard (issue

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: bar-line interface part 2/2: New bar line definition standard (issue 6498052)
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:35:07 +0200

On 30 sept. 2012, at 10:25, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 30.09.2012 04:11, schrieb address@hidden:
>> Now looking at the log files, I do get "undead" errors for our
>> regression test 'bar-line-define-bar-glyph.ly' but not from any other
>> files that I tried. (I don't know why the scripts from `make check` did
>> not flag it.)
> Keith, thanks for your work on this! It makes it much easier for me
> to see which file causes errors, especially in this case where these
> 'undead objects' messages seem to float around very randomly.
>>
>> There are four messages, but the particular undead objects vary from run
>> to run.
>>
> I can confirm that. When I compile the regtest above two times, the errors
> disappear.
> When I compile another file and the regtest afterwards, I get different
> messages.
> It looks as there are dynamics and/or articulations involved, which is
> strange because
> neither the regtest nor the files I compiled in between have anything of that
> kind.
>
> I must admit that I am an absolute newbie with regard to C++ debugging.
> Can anyone help me here? I don't know where these undead objects come from –
> the function (add-bar-glyph-print-procedure ...) used in the regtest is used
> in
> scm/bar-line.scm, too, and seems to cause no problems there.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

These messages are annoying...they often have to do with marking objects for
garbage collection (print_smob and mark_smob functions).  Given that you're not
creating any new smobs in this patch, it is tough to see where things may be
going wrong.  You can, however, do all sorts of stuff with the message itself
to get more useful info.  It gets printed out in scm/lily.scm, so you can
modify the printout to get more information about the object.

Cheers,
MS