Re: Various clean-ups in stems and beams. (issue 6584045)

From: aleksandr . andreev
Subject: Re: Various clean-ups in stems and beams. (issue 6584045)
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 14:42:09 +0000

On 2012/10/02 07:28:10, J_lowe wrote:
If you are talking about the Documentation in the Notation Reference,
the
Ancient Notation doesn't follow (mostly) the standard Policies at all
- indeed
there is a while tracker to tidy this section up, I started but I
don't have any
knowlegde of Ancient Notation to make distinctions between the
different types.

So I wouldn't worry about that. If examples need a specific context
include in
the @lilypond examples then so be it. I don't think that that is a
huge deal.

What I mean is that if something like

{
\override NoteHead #'style = #'kievan
c'8
}

produces a quarter note in the output, the user is likely to be
thoroughly confused.

If NoteHead and Stem properties are set up in engraver-init.ly, then if
the user wants a Kievan NoteHead somewhere other than in a KievanVoice
context, he will need to set up other overrides in addition to NoteHead
style.

This is different from other ancient notations in the sense that if I
do, e.g.,
{
\override NoteHead #'style = #'mensural
}

things work as expected. Of course, Mensural notation is simpler in the
sense that it lacks beams and specialized eighth heads.

I think it would be best if setting NoteHead style to Kievan would set
the necessary duration-log and Stem properties, but I am not sure how
that would be implemented given the clean-ups that Mike is proposing
with this patch.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6584045/