Re: Various clean-ups in stems and beams. (issue 6584045)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Various clean-ups in stems and beams. (issue 6584045)
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 18:11:06 +0200

Am 02.10.2012 16:56, schrieb address@hidden:
On 2 oct. 2012, at 16:42, address@hidden wrote:

What I mean is that if something like

{
\override NoteHead #'style = #'kievan
c'8
}

produces a quarter note in the output, the user is likely to be
thoroughly confused.
Is this because of the duration-log override?  NoteHead #'duration-log for
Kievan notation should be a separate function that is not based on style (this
is what I propose in my patch).

If NoteHead and Stem properties are set up in engraver-init.ly, then if
the user wants a Kievan NoteHead somewhere other than in a KievanVoice
context, he will need to set up other overrides in addition to NoteHead
style.

Why can't we have commands \startKievan and \stopKievan that do all the
overrides simultaneously?
That might be the best way to go indeed.

While I support the idea of supporting the user as much as possible, the underlying structure
of properties and callbacks should separate different 'tasks'.

For educational reasons, one might want to switch between normal and kievan notation,
but in this case,

c d e f
\startKievan
c d e f
\stopKievan

looks way better to me than

c d e f
\override NoteHead #'style = #"kievan"
c d e f
\revert NoteHead #'style

(if that would work, it is).

Taking David's recent patches into account there seems to be a global
'simplification for the user' direction concerning lilypond's usability, so
getting rid of \override stuff in this case looks like the right way to go.

For example, the command \hideNotes groups together several overrides.  I think
it would be a mistake to make \override NoteHead #'transparent also control
Dots and Stems by default.  It's better to have a global command that groups
together all these overrides.
+1

Marc