Re: Syntax clarification/change/improvement for -d[value]

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Syntax clarification/change/improvement for -d[value]
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 06:29:29 +0200

Hi James,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
> I guess this is part of what GLISS is, currently issue 2139 wants to
> clarify some usage options
>
> [...] suggestion:
>
> -dvar=val, --define-default=var=val
>
> and consequently for all the other command line options:
>
> -eexpression, --evaluate=expression
> -fformat, --format=format

Sorry for not answering earlier - i'm rarely using command line options
and had to reread your email several times.

I agree that current syntax is confusing (reading the bug report got
me confused!) - this is a valid issue.
Frankly, i'm not sure about your suggestion - it's still somewhat
confusing to me (maybe i didn't understand something?).

What about something like this (i hope that i understood how these
options are supposed to work at all!):

-dsomevar=myvalue, --define-default somevar=myvalue
-emyexpression, --evaluate myexpression
-fmyformat, --format myformat

?

cheers,