Re: [talk] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [talk] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 20:03:20 +0200

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> The reason I consider this an excessively bad
> idea is that this would turn an "articulation" into something that
> creates independent music events at an independent point of time.
>
> That would mean that the rhythmic event iterator as well as the event
> chord iterator would need to contain the full complexity of the
> simultaneous music iterator.
>
> It would also turn a "post-event" into something which only sometimes
> and more by accident has a relation to the preceding event.
>
> For example, if you use \at to delay a slur or accent to a later point
> of time, and this later point of time actually has a noteevent in the
> current context, the slur or accent would attach itself to the unrelated
> noteevent.  If you do this using explicit parallel music, the effect is
> somewhat predictable to the user and can be thought of as intentional.

These are valid points.  Do you have an idea how to do this in a
different way?  I still think that "post-eventness" is an important
feature of our syntax (i.e. things should be written in a more or less
chronological way, "decorations" after notes).

> But as a post-event on some other note?  The normal expectation would
> be, I think, that it still anchors to the original note, just with an X
> offset based on timing (incidentally, being able to specify horizontal
> offsets in terms of timing rather than staff spaces _does_ sound like
> something that could be interesting,

definitely.

As for the rest of your email, i don't have any meaningful answer now :(

Janek