Re: [GLISS] turn xxx.yyy into ("xxx" "yyy")

From: James
Subject: Re: [GLISS] turn xxx.yyy into ("xxx" "yyy")
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:29:11 +0100

Hello,

On 4 October 2012 09:28, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

..

> Using the symbol list form would have the advantage that
>
>     \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = "rit."
>
> could equivalently be expressed as
>
>     \override TextSpanner bound-details.left.text = "rit."
>
> and
>
>     \override Bottom.TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = "rit."
>
> as
>
>     \override Bottom.TextSpanner bound-details.left.text = "rit."
>
> or even
>
>     \override #'(Bottom TextSpanner) bound-details.left.text = "rit."

I know I have cut out most of the initial email, this is deliberate
because I just want to point out, that at least from a 'normal' user
point of view none of them are particularly better than the other.

Personally I like using braces or parenthesis to separate out these
different parts to these overrides. It is a pain (for me) to recall if
I need to use '#'' or not but that is no different than having to
remember if I use dots or spaces.

If all you are saying is it doesn't matter which one a user picks,
they will work, then fine, but sometimes too much choice or rather,
too much opportunity to 'type it wrong' may lead to frustration or
incomprehensibility if we report a technically accurate but
hard-to-understand error message.

Also, won't anyone think of the IDEs!

;)

Thanks for 'listening'.