"unofficial GOP proposal" organization of GLISS discussions

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: "unofficial GOP proposal" organization of GLISS discussions
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 18:34:09 +0200

Hi all,

i find it hard to keep up with our GLISS discussions.  I've also heard
that the amount of technical details, digressions and
"multithreadedness" stops some people from participating, as they
don't have enough time to read long conversations carefully.

Therefore i suggest to visibly separate discussing problems from
discussing solutions.
Currently we are mostly discussing ideas for syntax, i.e. "let's have
syntax X doing Y".  I suggest that for several weeks we shall focus on
"i find syntax W confusing" and "i find notation Z
difficult/inconvenient to express in current syntax" instead.  We
would add syntax problems that we identify as issues to the tracker.
After we've finished gathering them, we'll sort the issues and *then*
we would discuss how to solve them.

Why do it this way?
- we'll see the big picture better
- we'll be able to schedule the discussions about solutions, so it'll
be easier to participate in them

And perhaps most importantly: when someone posts a syntax *idea*,
there's a chance that syntax experts will reply "omg wtf?! this won't
work".  This leads to frustration.  On the other hand, if we discuss
our *problems*, syntax experts can just answer "it would be reasonable
to solve it this or that way" - and voila! less frustration.

What do you think?
Please give me your opinion! (a simple +/- 1 will suffice) :)

thanks,"
Janek