Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 3

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - Draft 3
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:20:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Keith OHara wrote:

Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen <at> zonnet.nl> writes:

I am not in favour of allowing different commands \times 2/3 and \tuplet3/2 to do the same job. My voice would go to: just keep \times x/y the wayit is. I can't see what makes 3/2 easier than 2/3. And having the choiceof two commands doing the same job with a slightly different syntax onlymakes things more confusing for me.

Currently, everyone who thinks of a triplet as a 3:2 ratio, 3 notes in the usual time for 2, suffers similar confusion when trying to remember \times 2/3. Triplets are usually written with a simple 3, but 4-note-tuplets are often designated 4:3 for clarity, while LilyPond requires the reversed fraction in \times 3/4 {}

The likely outcome would be to document only \tuplet 3/2 (or \tuplet3 or \triplet depending on what we choose) and have convert-ly change \times x/y to \tuplet y/x, but let LilyPond accept \times x/y from users who have developed the habit. Then there is only one syntax in the documentation.

OK. You convinced me.

--

MT