Re: Nice to have - manage differing number of syllables in verses, choir

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Nice to have - manage differing number of syllables in verses, choir etc.
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:00:10 +0100

Esa Erola wrote Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:54 PM

> For a chosen verse in multi-verse choir etc. sould there be any chances with
> reasonable enough effort to create a command to be used inside lyrics to skip
> once a slur
>
> There is a nice snippet do to this, just a bit hard to use in multi voice
> choir.
>
> It would be nice to include before a syllable something along the
> lines "...this \once \skip \slur nice cat..." ( while the other verse would
> have "... that yel -- low dog..."  - one more syllable )

I may have misunderstood, but doesn't \skip 1 do exactly what you
want?  (Note that \skip must be followed by a number but that this
number is ignored in lyrics.)  So you'd write

this \skip 1 nice cat

Alternatively, you can just use an empty syllable - "".

Trevor