Re: Context.Grob considered as symbol list

From: James
Subject: Re: Context.Grob considered as symbol list
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:58:55 +0100

Hello,

On 10 Oct 2012, at 21:02, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> ... should be renamed IMHO.  Regardless of our discussion, it
>>> doesn't fit into the current naming scheme.
>>
>> The corresponding axis is called X, and using x for a constant in
>> the expectation that the user would not attempt naming a variable
>> after it would seem rather optimistic.
>
> I think a big fat bold sentence which says
>
>  Variables *must* start with a lowercase letter, contexts with an
>  uppercase letter.
>
> should make everything clear.
>
> What do others think?

Well taking Werner's last reply at face value, I'd say 'big fat bold sentences'
(in amongst oh so many other big fat bold sentences) is not helpful at all and
makes nothing clear if in the end things are not consistent for the user. I
already struggle with orders of things, dots or hashes or brackets and things
like when I use staff vs Staff.

What I think about 'x-offset' is that would using 'Left' and 'Right' be more in
keeping with things like UP and DOWN that we use already for DIRECTION (slurs,
cues etc.)?

I don't really follow technically the conversation that lead to David's comment
of 'X-offset anyone?' but would this be an alternative?

James