Re: Context.Grob considered as symbol list

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Context.Grob considered as symbol list
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 00:25:44 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> [...]  I still don't want to make the interpretation of identifiers
>> depend on case other than, of course, that you need to stick with
>> the exact spelling of an identifier once you picked its name.
>
> Besides limiting the namespace of user variables, what are your
> arguments against such a change?  For me, the simplicity of being able
> to always use `.' to mark the hierarchy instead of using a combination
> of `<space>' and `.' definitely outweighs the namespace limitation.
>
>> Werner picked up on something I mentioned as a dissatisfactory
>> workaround idea, so there is little surprise that I am not in favor.
>> I found a quite more satisfactory solution [...]
>
> It seems that I'm missing something.  Let's assume that your footnote
> syntax change is applied.  How do you then solve the case
>
>   \tweak Accidental.color #red cis
>
> vs.
>
>   \override Voice.Accidental color #red

\tweak gets one symbol list, \override gets two symbol lists.  The
symbol list for \tweak may optionally start with a grob name, the first
symbol list for \override may optionally start with a context name.  I
can offer \tweak color.Accidental #red cis as the optional form for
\tweak, but that seem bonkers.

Yes, the difference in visuals for quite similar commands is a bit of a
nuisance, but it is not the only difference.  You forgot the equals sign
in the \override command...

At any rate, the long form of the \tweak command is rather rare and
special, anyway.