explaining parser subtleties (was: Context.Grob considered as symbol lis

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: explaining parser subtleties (was: Context.Grob considered as symbol list)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:42:49 +0200

Hi,

i'm short on time so i'll try to be brief - hopefully this won't cause
any misunderstanding.

David, i understand that some comments and questions may look like the
sender is questioning your knowledge in some area.
I want to assure you that when i ask such a "stupid" question, i'm not
questioning your knowledge - i'm asking for explanation so that i
could understand.
In other words, my intent is never "it looks like you're mistaken.
prove that you're right".  I always mean "i don't understand this
because i'm a newbie in this area.  You are experienced - could you
explain to me why we cannot do this?"
I think it would be easier for both you and us if you assume that the
intent of our questions is like i described above (unless someone
explicitely says "i think you're wrong").

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Educating people about the details takes a lot of time, and
> it is time that only has a payoff if their ultimate goal is actually
> working in that area rather than just satisfying their sense of being
> taken seriously.

I agree that this is a serious problem.  However, i think that we
cannot avoid it completely: we are a team, and we need to know what's
happening inside LilyPond.
Of course, you don't have to write super-detailed explanations about everything.
By the way: if people won't understand what you do and why, they may
not be able to actually *use* the solutions you provide, and they will
be unable to appreciate them :/

best wishes,
Janek