Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:48:32 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I see really only two reasonably
>> consistent solutions that both involve _not_ using \tweak for the
>> grobbed variant:
>>
>> \tweakGrob Accidental color #red cis
>>
>> or
>>
>> \single \override Accidental color = #red cis
>>
>> since the latter is now available.  It is just more effort both for
>> LilyPond and the user.
>
> I'd not object to either of these forms, but I think I'd prefer the
> dotted form of \tweak as the canonical syntax for the grob variant.

Well, as I said: if we want to support nested properties, distinguishing
xxx.yyy from meaning property yyy of Grob xxx, or meaning subproperty
yyy of property xxx will again be a problem

What about
\grob Accidental \tweak color #red cis
or
\on Accidental \tweak color #red cis

Would that be better (yes, my two-letter proposals are quite unpopular,
but this one does not seem so bad)?

>> problem is more making 4 mean a _duration_ when you need one.
>
> :)  This implies another major doc change is needed then!

I am afraid that it will likely fall to my lot to write about the "type
system" of LilyPond syntax.  At least the first iterations of that.