Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 22:34:55 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm less concerned than Werner about the inconsistency of the tweak
>> syntax.  The context needs to be specified only rarely, and it is a
>> small price to pay for the enormous gain.  Hopefully the error
>> message that results when it is specified incorrectly will be or can
>> be made to be helpful.
>
> Hopefully there is no misunderstanding: What David is going to achieve
> has all my support!  Far better than previous, no question.  I just
> want to see even further improvements to get more orthogonality, and
> it is a pity that I'm trampling on David's nerves because many of my
> questions are naive.

I have no really good suggestions here regarding my reactions.  Probably
one should aim for a more curious than skeptical tone.  It is obvious
that lecturing people does more for my ego than defending myself.  But
then probably I am the worst person to ask for advice regarding
diplomacy.

> At least I know now that at the price of having Contexts start with an
> uppercase it would be possible to get what I suggest.

Let me make use of this occasion for lecturing here by pointing out that
the uppercase of Contexts is not really relevant.  Decisive would be the
uppercase/lowercase border between Grob name and first property.

> But our benevolent syntax implementation dictator says no :-)

Well, the user-friendliness faction demands the option to have LilyPond
behave case-insensitively.  I certainly won't support making this a
default, but I also don't want to make case have meaning independent
from being part of an identifier/symbol's identity.