Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols (was: Issue 2883)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols (was: Issue 2883)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:22:43 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:27 PM

> I need feedback.  Read on.

I am enthusuastic about these changes.  They will remove
one of the major obscacles to tyros trying to master the syntax.
This is a wonderful achievement!

> And give their opinion about what does not quite constitute peanuts in
> the GLISS area.

The understatement of the year ...

A couple of comments:

There are a few areas of the documentation that will need manual
change, partly to explain the new syntax, partly to correct the
indentation of lines following changed lines, and maybe one or two
others.  These can be addressed after the event.

X-offset and friends.  I'd prefer to change these to x/y-offset, to
unify the letter-casing of properties.  Can also be addressed later.

I'm less concerned than Werner about the inconsistency of the
tweak syntax.  The context needs to be specified only rarely, and
it is a small price to pay for the enormous gain.  Hopefully the
error message that results when it is specified incorrectly will be
or can be made to be helpful.

I'm also encouraged by the hints you've dropped that #4 and 4
can also be made equivalent in the majority of cases.  In a later
patch, of course.

Trevor