Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols (was: Issue 2883)

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: [GLISS] turning strings to symbols (was: Issue 2883)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:09:47 -0500

David,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> But the _point_ of the _invasive_ patch and convert-ly rules was to get
> feedback about what people think about a language change that
> essentially makes it unnecessary for users to write symbols like #'xxx
> or to even know the difference between symbols and strings, regardless
> of whether we are talking about using commands hard-wired into the
> parser or music functions.

Though I don't particularly mind writing cryptic symbols like #'xxx
anymore (by now they're my old friends), I'm pretty sure I did as I
was struggling to learn the program.  Eliminating the need for these
(at least partially) will definitely help attract new users to the
program.  Of course, there will still be plenty of head-scratching
among beginners at needing the hash (not to mention that inscrutable
apostrophe) before the value in overrides.  But that, I imagine, can't
be helped.

>And of course also to give \override-like
> music functions the option to get input like Staff.TimeSignature
> delivered as #'(Staff TimeSignature) automagically.

This is wonderful.  Thank you so much for doing this!

> So far, the attempt to get feedback on this language change has failed
> spectacularly, but that is the point of the current review at
> <URL:http://codereview.appspot.com/6635050>.

My inattention is only because this comes at a very busy time in the
teaching year for me.  But I would like to tell you that I approve
very much of these changes.

-David