Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:01:47 +0200 (CEST)

> So we need something like
>
> crossStaff =
> #(define-music-function (parser location notes) (ly:music?)
>   (_i "Create cross-staff stems")
>   #{
>   \temporary\override Stem #'cross-staff = #cross-staff-connect
>   \temporary\override Flag #'style = #'no-flag
>   $notes
>   \revert Stem #'cross-staff
>   \revert Flag #'style
> #})
>
> and, as a corrollary, \temporary\whatever and \undo\whatever will be a
> proper push/pop pair.

I like the name \temporary.  Is this of practical use outside of music
functions also?

> Opinions?  It might also be possible to do
>
> \temporary { \override Stem #'cross-staff = #cross-staff-connect
>              \override Flag #'style = #'no-flag }
>            $notes

I like that too.  What about

  \push { Stem.cross-staff = #cross-staff-connect
          Flag.style = #'no-flag }
  $notes
  \pop { Stem.cross-staff
         Flag.style }

[I'm using the `.' operator creatively; no idea whether this works,
and no need to discuss this in case it doesn't :-)]

    Werner